We often make this sandwich with our French Onion Soup because they both use caramelised onions, and they are amazing together. This meal is perfect with beer.
Roasted beets and goats cheese is a classic flavour combination and is awesome for any season. Also, the colours in this sandwich are gorgeous!
What you'll need:
- Bread (obviously) We show you how to make your own knead-free bread here.
- Mayo We show you how to make your own mayo here.
- Arugula or spinach (We like arugula in this sandwich best)
- 1/2 a beet, sliced PER sandwich
- Caramelised onions (We show you how here.)
- Goat cheese or feta, crumbled
- Butter for slathering on the outside
What to do:
1) Turn oven on to 350 F, and chop beets in half and slice the halves to the pieces are half-circles about 1/8" thick
2) On a baking sheet, coat beet slices in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for approximately 20 mins.
3) Assemble sandwich: On a piece of bread, spread on mayo, then pile on arugula, roasted beet slices, caramelised onions and crumbled goats cheese. Make sure that the butter is slathered on the OUTSIDE of the bread.
4) In a pre-heated pan, place assembled sandwich on the heated surface, and grill both sides til crispy.
Serve with soup or salad or homemade yam fries. Or whatever you want!