What you need:
- Equal parts of butter and flour (We used 1/4 cup each here)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Adding shredded, sharp cheddar cheese for a dreamy, creamy cheese sauce
- Adding juice of squeezed orange and black pepper for a tangy white sauce (tastes amazing over salmon!)
- Add minced garlic and grated parmesan for a home-made Alfredo!
- Adding whatever fresh herbs you desire to serve over chicken
- Adding horseradish for a creamy steak condiment
1. In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, over medium heat, melt butter.
2. Add flour, and stir til the mixture forms a paste. You'll want to cook it for a few minutes at this stage while stirring to get rid of the floury taste. Watch that it doesn't scorch on the bottom, though.
3. Add milk in small increments while whisking vigourously. Depending on how runny you want your sauce depends on how much milk to add. Up to you.
4. Keep adding milk while whisking, over medium heat until your desired consistency. Season, enjoy.
Sauce on, Compadres!