- Egg yolk (every one egg yolk makes up to about a 1/2 cup of mayo)
- Oil (Canola oil is best, as it is a "neutral oil". Grapeseed oil is okay also, but olive oil is a no-no. Your mayo will taste gross.)
- a few drops of an acid. (Vinegar, lemon juice or lime juice)
- Flavouring (whatever you want! Today we used a teaspoon of dijon mustard and salt + pepper)
1. Separate egg yolk from egg by transferring it between your loosely held fingers, letting the whites slide through. But if you have a way you prefer, by all means, do that!
2. in a bowl, place egg yolk and a few drops of your acid of choice, and begin to whisk briskly for about 20 seconds, then SLOWLY add the oil, starting with just a few drops at a time while you continue to whisk. This will take about five minutes at least to do.
As soon as it looks like mayo, you're done!
3. Add flavour to your liking and serve!
Some flavour suggestions:
- Dijon mustard, lemon juice, fresh tarragon, salt and pepper
- Chipotle spice and lime juice
- Roasted garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper
Whisk on, pals!