|French Onion Soup shown served with a roasted beet, arugula and goats cheese grilled cheese sandwich. We often make the two together because they both use caramelised onions.|
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups of chicken stock per serving. (We will show you how to make your own in a future blog post.)
- 3 onions per serving to caramelise.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- croutons or slice of bread to top the soup with. We show you how to make your own knead-free bread here.)
- Grated gruyere cheese, about 1/2 cup (grated) per serving
- Salt and pepper
What to do:
1) Chop up onions (2-3 PER serving), and over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pot, with oil, salt and pepper, begin the caramelisation process - Keep stirring every so often to ensure they don't burn, add a 1/4 cup of water every so often if they get dry. This will take between 45 minutes to an hour. The middle picture is after 40 mins but not yet done. The last photo is allll done!)
2) Meanwhile, heat chicken stock in a pot til it's hot and preheat broiler.
3) Divide stock and caramelised onions evenly into individual oven-safe soup dishes, add toasted bread/crutons and top with grated gruyere cheese.
4) Place under broiler and broil til the cheese is melty and gooey and delicious.